Saturday 23 March 2013

Wow! So, I've been out of the country, fire dancing at a theme park in Japan, for most of the winter. I'm back now and I got an embroidery machine for Christmas, which I haven't even taken out of the box yet, because of the aforementioned Japan trip.

Just before we left, I made a bunch of gorgeous fairy lights and hung them from my ceiling:


I got some colored bottles and covered them with iridescent cellophane, using mod podge and a heat gun.  I've had the mod podge for EVER and was never quite sure what to do with it.  This was an excellent application, I think.

Then, I took some leather scraps and cut them and tied them around the cellophane-covered bottles.  I filled the first couple of prototype fairy bottles with a battery-operated LED strand with about 8 lights on it.  I pushed the cork in and braided the LED cord in with leather cord wrapped around the neck of the bottle, and now the battery pack can get wrapped around a belt and the fairy bottle dangles from my waist.  It's an incredibly awesome costume accessory!


Here I am sporting 2 fairy bottles at the Dickens Fair with Nick in all his steampunk finery.

The little ones worked so well that I wanted to make some bigger, more permanent ones.  I asked for (and received!) a fantastic strand of multi-color, color changing LEDs for Christmas.  It was a bit of a project, but I made 10 more fairy bottles of varying sizes and colors and soldered together a bunch of lead wire between the LEDs before enclosing the LEDs inside the bottles.  This was a bit of a project - I am not the world's best solder-artist, though I'm probably a bit further up the ranks after doing all those connections.  

At the end of it all, though, my fairy bedroom now sports 10 color-changing LED fairy lights - 4 at the corners of my hanging bed and 6 more around the room.  I even have a remote control to turn them on and off, and to change between the colors.  I can pick one color or get them to softly cycle through the rainbow.  


There will be more LED projects in the future!  LEDs are neat.  :)

0 comments :

Post a Comment