Saturday 1 June 2013

Let's make a deal, I won't talk about how long I've been away from this blog and you won't even think about it.  OK?

Pin It

I just started a new online class from Valerie Sjodin.


I took a full sheet of 140lb (300gsm) watercolour paper, and tore it Teesha Moore style to make a journal.  I only wanted 1 fold in page, so I cut the extra pieces off and used them to make mini pages between the layers.


Here's a tip I learnt from another bookbinding class or webpage.  When it comes to piercing the holes in the spine of your pages so that you can bind them, lay your folded pages on top of an open book or catalogue so that the spines match.  Then, when you push through with your awl or pushpin, you go into the gap between the open pages.  This is much easier than trying to push through onto a cutting mat or other flat surface.

Also, if you haven't got any bookbinding thread or other strong thread, you can use unflavoured waxed dental floss.  It works just as well, but I have used the bookbinding thread on this occasion.


So, to start with my journal looked like the top photo in the above image.  All square edged pages, with one flap to come over the front page.  In the class Valerie uses multiple French Curves to get the curves she wants.  I only had one, as you can see.  I thought I had 3 but I couldn't find the others.   I had to do a bit of drawing curves by hand to make up the difference between what I wanted and what I could get from that French Curve, but all in all I think it turned out well.  I used a little pot to hold the pages down while taking the photos.



So there you have it.  I forgot to get a photo of that very last smaller inset page, but it is very like the front page.

I shall be sharing more as I work through the class.
I will also be sharing some of the work I am doing for other online classes I have been taking.


You can check out the sites I link up to over in my sidebar. Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

0 comments :

Post a Comment