Friday 22 July 2011

We booked ourselves a walk-around gig as Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf for the ISES NCC gala in SF on July 19.  I had a little too much fun making the Red Riding Hood cloak, since I don't imagine I'm going to wear it a whole lot.  But, then, who knows?  It is a truly wonderful cloak..  :) :)

Here was my concept sketch:


I like how she's kinda bad-ass.. with her hatchet and her basket full of wolf puppies.  :)  I drew the inside of the cloak all patchwork, and envisioned having lots of pockets and magical symbols and such, but just plain simple red on the outside.  Here's how it turned out!




The lining was made out of scraps of fabric that I already had.. what can I say, I *love* red and black fabric.  I used a lot of chinese brocades with (what look like) magical symbols and dragons and Chinese characters printed on them.  There are maybe 20-30 pockets in the lining of varying sizes, which I found incredibly handy at the gig (business cards, cameras, phones, keys, wolf puppies, and smuggled hors d'oeuvres, not to mention eye of newt and spleen of worm).  The only trouble was remembering which pocket held what.  I made a red mesh pocket too, which just tickles me to no end, for some reason.

More pix on Picasa.  Aaaaand.. the photos are still coming in, but here are a couple from the gig!  People liked us a lot.. especially the Wolf.  He looked amazing, and he's just an amazing performer - really engaging and interactive, and he loved every minute.  

I painted him up and I painted some claw marks and scars on me (as though I'd been mauled by him already).  We had a great time running around chasing each other as the guests watched and giggled.  Fun times!!



0 comments :

Post a Comment