Thursday 13 October 2011

This week I've been working on a "Tribal" costume for an upcoming fire show for San Jose State University's homecoming.  The show is tonight!  So this morning I find myself gluing jewels and bling and more bling on my new tribal belt.  LOVE.

I am a human disco ball.

I wanted to be able to wear this with more than just the "Tribal" look, so I started with some left over fabric from Darrell's "flamenco" pants (so we'll match, if we wear them together).  The tribal costume is green, and most of my other costumes are red, so I went with a copper thread and gold and silver accents, so I can wear it with just about any color and it'll look great.

I did the copper embroidery with metallic thread - which looks AMAZING in person but was such a pain to do.  I had all sorts of grand plans for fancy embroidery and I'm so glad I just decided on "simple".. the thread breaks every 2-3 inches even using a metallic needle.  So frustrating.



I edged it in the same copper thread (works much better in the serger than the regular machine) and then started decorating.  I used 3 sizes of jewels, coins left over from my belly dancing costume, and strung some beads so I have danglies, (which fascinate Biskit the kitten to no end).  It looks so incredible when it catches the light!!

I backed it with felt so it stays put on my hips and closed it with velcro for easy on/off and adjustments.  I can't wait to wear it tonight!







(biskit having impure thoughts...)

0 comments :

Post a Comment