Thursday 13 December 2012


Yesterday I left you with the idea of letting go of things, even possibly good things, being part of thankfulness.  How do we get from there to Advent?  We go via hope.
And we do that by going back to the last supper.

Matthew 26:26 While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”

Jesus knew what was coming.  He had just talked to them about one of them betraying him.  He knew without a doubt how and where that evening’s events would end, what he would have to give up, what he would have to give.  And yet he gave thanks. For what?  When He broke bread, He introduced the idea of the bread representing His body that would be broken that very night.  Knowing what was coming, He gave thanks even for that.
He went on to share the wine with them.

27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.

“When I drink it again WITH YOU IN MY FATHER’S KINGDOM!”  The ultimate HOPE, that one day we will see Jesus face to face!  Because of what He did, because of what He gave thanks for.  Because ahead of time, even knowing it was coming he gave thanks.  He knew he would see them again, he knew they would be with him in heaven and we can have that very same hope.  ONE DAY, one gloriously beautiful day, we will see him face to face.  And nothing else will matter, because being with Him will be everything.

That doesn’t mean the only thing we can hope in and for has to wait until then, but it is the biggy, the ultimate hope, without which our other hopes don’t even get started.  If we accept Jesus, we have the ultimate hope and from that our other hopes come.  More on that tomorrow.


Pin It


You can check out the sites I link up to over in my sidebar. Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

0 comments :

Post a Comment