Tuesday 17 May 2011

Today I needed to make an apple cake for a meal I'm helping with this evening.  It's an Alpha meal for 30 people. I decided to use a recipe I found on Food.com for Apple Swirl Cake

You will need

    • 2 cups apples (2 cups ended up being 3 1/2 of those apples, so I used the whole of that last one, making 4 apples)
    • 3 tablespoons sugar
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 2 cups sugar
    • 1 cup cooking oil (I only had a small amount of basic vegetable oil and had to top up with cold pressed rapseed oil, which has a bright orange colour)
    • 4 eggs
    • 1/4 cup orange juice
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 3 cups flour, Sifted
    • 1 tablespoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix the 3 tbsp sugar with the cinnamon


Chop the apples


and toss in the cinnamon mix


Beat the oil and sugar together, then add the orange juice, eggs and vanilla.


Then sieve in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix.


Beat until smooth then layer in your cake tin, 1/3 mix, then half the apples, then another 1/3 mix, the other half of the apples and finally the last portion of mix.


Look at all the luscious juice the apples have made while sitting in that cinnamon sugar.

Bake at 325f (around 165c) for a whole hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.

While the cake is baking deal with this:


This note particularly for any teenage budding chefs out there, HINT HINT!

Cool in pan for 15 minutes.


This is a sprig form pan, so then I released the sides, inverted a cooling rack over the top and flipped in order to pull the centre piece of the cake tin out.


Removing the centre was a little more difficult than I had hoped, you may be able to see a crack in the cake.  I will have to be careful when moving it.  Next time I will grease the bottom of the tin better.  Finally I got it removed.  I used another inverted cooking rack over the top and flipped it again to finish cooling.


This should be served just sprinkled with icing sugar.  I won't do that until we get to the event this evening.  Maybe I will remember to take a photograph.

0 comments :

Post a Comment