Tuesday 17 May 2011

I am sure most of you know how to make puff pastry cinnamon whirls.  But have you ever thought of making mini ones?

I needed to make some for a dinner that I am helping to cater for tonight.  It's an Alpha meal and there will be 30 people.  This will just be a little snacklet for when everything is finished, I am also making an apple cake.

Sooooo, you will need:


a mini muffin pan, such as the pampered chef one.
sugar
cinnamon
a pack of ready rolled puff pastry

I don't measure the cinnamon and sugar when I make these.  In fact, you can see how much cinnamon is left in the jar.


I just topped that up with the sugar and shook and rolled the jar to mix.

Open and unroll the sheet of puff pastry.  And here's the really NOT tricky part that will make these into mini whirls.  You simply cut the sheet in half along the length.


Sprinkle the whole thing with your cinnamon sugar mix, like so.


The far side is the cinnamon sugar made with caster sugar as shown in the ingredients photo, and the near side is some cinnamon sugar made with granulated or maybe even demerara sugar that I found I already had in the cupboard.  some people also add melted butter before they sprinkle the sugar on, but honestly this is puff pastry, it doesn't need extra butter.

Roll each piece, from the long edge to make a long narrow roll.


then slice that into pieces.  I think mine are just a bit smaller than a cm each.  But it worked out at 24 pieces from each roll.


Place each piece into a section of the mini muffin pan and bake in an oven at 200 c or whatever temperature your packet of puff pastry says. 


20 minutes later you will have a tray of gorgeous little cinnamon whirls, like so . . .


You could make mini versions of many other puff pastry whirl recipes, both sweet and savoury.  ENJOY!

Buttons for sites I link up to are in the sidebar.

0 comments :

Post a Comment