Friday 6 May 2011

I've been wanting a faerie door for my Enchanted Forest bedroom and so decided to have a faerie door crafting night last week.  I'd never done anything with polymer clay before (except make a mess, and give up in frustration, as a child) so I was really nervous about it.  I expected to botch it completely, but at least I'd get a fun social event out of the whole thing.

Turns out: I LOVE polymer clay.  It is my new favorite thing to play with.  I made a faerie door that I absolutely love, and then went on to make some little mushrooms for nearby.  Yesterday during the Afternoon Doldrums I installed it in my bedroom.. under the giant paper rose, right in the corner of the meditation nook.  I am delighted.   Have a look.



The peep hole in the door has little doors that open and close so you can peek through into faeire.  I used a combination of real dried mushrooms and sculpted mushrooms, glass jewels and paper craft cutouts, and iridescent bug wings.  I will never tire of sitting and waiting quietly for the faeries to emerge.

The clay was really easy to use.  I used white Sculpey, which bakes in the oven in about 15 minutes to a hardness that is then paintable with acrylic paint.  A little hot glue and a little moss and imagination .. and now there's a magic portal into another world, right in my bedroom.

0 comments :

Post a Comment