Thursday 17 February 2011

This morning I was reading my bible and I came across something.  I'm doing a Bible in a Year read through with a whole bunch of women on facebook.  There's over 100 of us now, all reading whatever bible version we choose, all using different reading plans, but all planning on reading through our bibles in a year.  For some it is the first time, for others it is something they have done before, but ALL TOGETHER, doing this.  It's incredible!

I'm doing this read through in The Message and this morning was reading in Numbers and read the Aaronic blessing.  I am sure I have read the Aaronic blessing in the Message before, but this morning the particular wording that the Message has struck me.

24 God bless you and keep you,25 God smile on you and gift you,
26 God look you full in the face and make you prosper.
God smile on you and GIFT YOU! God LOOK YOU FULL IN THE FACE!

WOW, isn't that powerful!  Something about looking you full in the face that speaks to me far more than "turn his face towards you."  So, I did what we do on that facebook group and shared that this had jumped out at me.  Someone else commented that that reminded them of a traditional Irish blessing and so HERE WE ARE.

Over the years I have pulled together a small file on my computer of various biblical and traditional blessings.  Many of them Celtic, but also from other traditions too.
I am going to share them here on my facebook, a few a day for the next few days.  I don't know how long it will take, but here goes:


May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand.
traditional gaelic blessing




Beannachd Dia dhuit
(blessings of God be with you - ScotsGaelic)




Blessed Be.
ancient - celtic blessing




May the blessing of light be on you - light without and light within. May the blessed sunlight shine on you like a great peat fire, so that stranger and friend may come and warm himself at it. And may light shine out of the two eyes of you, like a candle set in the window of a house, bidding the wanderer come in out of the storm. And may the blessing of the rain be on you, may it beat upon your Spirit and wash it fair and clean, and leave there a shining pool where the blue of Heaven shines, and sometimes a star. And may the blessing of the earth be on you, soft under your feet as you pass along the roads, soft under you as you lie out on it, tired at the end of day; and may it rest easy over you when, at last, you lie out under it. May it rest so lightly over you that your soul may be out from under it quickly; up and off and on its way to God. And now may the Lord bless you, and bless you kindly. Amen.
—Scottish Blessing 


Come back tomorrow for more. . . . . .

0 comments :

Post a Comment