Monday 20 June 2011

I hope you have been following my attempts to start and grow a sourdough starter.  This morning I used the starter for the first time.  Sourdough Waffles!


I've been following the starter instructions at the Gnowfglins website and decided to follow their recipe for waffles that is part of their sourdough e-course.  I dragged my waffle maker out from it's hiding place deep in the back of a cupboard.  Seriously, I cannot remember the last time I used this thing.


When you want to use you sourdough starter for a recipe, you have to bear in mind how much you will need when you feed it the feed before (and sometimes the feed before that as well if you need a large amount).  I knew I needed 2 cups of thick starter for the recipe today, plus half a cup or so to keep the starter going.  I fed it with a whole cup of water and a cup and a third of flour.  Actually I could have done with a little more of each.  As it turned out that I ended up needing to keep some of the 2 cups back to keep the starter going.  That meant the waffle mix was a bit thinner than it should have been, but they still came out just fine.

I needed


eggs, oil, some sort of sweetener (I was hoping to use honey but our honey had set and I decided to use maple syrup instead), vanilla, salt, baking soda and a little water.
(for amounts you will have to check out the e-course)

I mixed everything except the baking soda and water in a mixing bowl.


Then added the sourdough starter.


Finally used the baking soda and water to get the mixture to sponge up a bit and it was time to cook the waffles.


It took me a couple of attempts to remember how much mixture was ideal to fill the waffle maker without spilling over, and well, not all of those attempts made it to the pile of waffles at the end, I may have been a little eager to try them, mmmmmmmmmm.


But finally I got the hang of it and was making a pile of gorgeous waffles, youngest son (16) said it smelt a bit like eggy bread, and he doesn't like eggs, but he ate them just fine, so they can't have been that bad!  Wonderful, whole wheat, sourdough waffles.


If you'd like to see what else I make with my sourdough starter in coming weeks, why not subscribe, using one of the links over in the sidebar.

0 comments :

Post a Comment