Monday 14 November 2011

Usually when I make a new hoodie, my process goes something like this:
  1. Get inspired
  2. Do some sketches
  3. Create a paper pattern
  4. Cut & create the hoodie
  5. Fix all the flaws in the hoodie
  6. Transfer the fixes to the pattern
I'd love to do a blog post about each one of these steps.. perhaps I'll do that.  But yesterday I threw the whole process away and just .. created.

I think I've leveled up.


I had a little leftover black fleece.  I did a quickie sketch and then threw it away.  Then I got out 3 different hoodie patterns, picked a few pieces out of each, and laid them all in a jumble on the sewing table.

After that, I ignored all the pattern pieces and started cutting out pieces I thought looked cute.  I ended up with a flame shape, so I embroidered a flame.  Why not?

From there, I chose different pieces from the different patterns I have, and cut out one of these, one of those, two of this one over here.. pretty much I just used up all the fabric.

I ended up with one of the classiest hoodies I've ever made.  It's got pockets.  It's got flames.  It's seams are on the inside, which is a departure from my usual style, and some of the edges are purposefully unfinished.  It doesn't even have a hood - instead it's got a flipped-over collar.  (to be honest I did *make* the hood but then decided I didn't need it - it'll probably end up on another hoodie)

So, today's task is to reverse-engineer this thing and see if I can replicate it.  I'll do the shoulders an collar a little different maybe.. but on the whole, the design seems *marvelous*.. I think it's a keeper.  :)   Better pictures later!
 











0 comments :

Post a Comment