Sunday 12 August 2012

Yet another Hairy Dieters recipe from the Hairy Bikers.  And this time we're back to Breakfast with Home made Granola and a Fruit Compote.

For copyright reasons I am not sharing all the recipes I have tested so for amounts you will have to wait for the recipe to come around in the tv show (when the recipe should then be on the bbc website for the show) or buy the book.  But I am testing them out and sharing any issues, discoveries or alterations I make.


Pin It

Their recipe calls for mixed dried fruit, BUT I don't like currants, raisins and sultanas, so I went with some different dried fruit that I do enjoy.  I used dried cherries, dried raspberries and a few bits of chopped dried apricot.  it is also meant to be jumbo oats but those are expensive, and this stuff is less than 50p a bag.


The apple juice gets reduced on the stove then mixed with the oats and almonds which get spread on a baking sheet covered with parchment.  Now the parchment does stop it sticking, but it's also useful for another reason which I'll tell you later.


Then it gets baked in the oven.  You add the dried fruit, mix it all around and put it back in for a few more minutes.  And yes my oven was too hot.  Ooops.


Here's where the paper comes in useful again, once the granola has cooled you can use it to pour the granola into whatever container you are using.  Ta-da!


Where you can store it for a few weeks (if the container is airtight).


You can also make the compote ahead of time and keep it in the fridge to serve cold, or reheat quickly in the microwave.


Some things get peeled, others get sliced.  Like I said, you'll have to get the book or wait for this recipe to come around on the show.  Their recipe also called for raspberries, but since I didn't have any, I put extra strawberries and blueberries in.  There is also some sugar.

You need an oven dish, similar to a lasagne dish and a hot oven.


And after the specified time:


Serve with a couple of spoonfuls of granola and a spoonful of low fat plain yoghurt.  ( I used Greek yoghurt.)


So far, I am really enjoying the recipes from the book, even if they don't all quite come out the way I expected, they are tasting delicious.

So far I have blogged about these recipes from the book:

You can check out the sites I link up to over in my sidebar. Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

0 comments :

Post a Comment