Friday 10 August 2012

Yes, another recipe from the Hairy Dieters book by the Hairy Bikers, this time it's a lunch recipe.


Pin It



Ingredients
100g pasta shapes, such as fusilli or penne
200g can of tuna in spring water, drained
195g can of sweetcorn, drained (smaller of the UK cans)
3 tbsp light mayonnaise
3 tbsp cold water
2 tsp white wine vinegar
10 cherry tomatoes, halved (about 100g)
1/4 cucumber, cut into rough 1.5cm dice
I yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into rough 1.5cm dice
2 spring onions, finely sliced
freshly ground black pepper
romaine or little gem lettuce leaves, to serve (optional)


Directions

Half fill a large saucepan with cold water and bring to the boil. Add the pasta, stir well and bring the water back to the boil. Cook for 8-10 minutes until tender, or according to the packet instructions, stirring occasionally.

Rinse the pasta in a colander under running water until cold, then drain well and tip it into a large mixing bowl. Flake the tuna on to the pasta with a fork and scatter the sweetcorn on top.

Put the mayonnaise, water and vinegar in a small bowl and whisk with a small metal whisk until smooth.


At first, as you mix it won't look so good:


Don't panic, keep mixing and it will come right in the end, after just a few seconds.


Pour the mixture over the pasta.

Add the tomatoes, cucumber, pepper and spring onions, season with a few twists of black pepper and toss all the ingredients lightly together. Serve with lettuce leaves if you like. Perfect for lunch boxes and picnics.



I would have preferred more flavour from the dressing, and that's probably down to using cheap mayonnaise.  But at the rate my kids get through mayonnaise, I'm not buying the expensive stuff.  But honestly, overall that was a delicious pasta salad, and by using the wholewheat pasta I made it even more healthy.

So far, I am really enjoying the recipes from the book, even if they don't all quite come out the way I expected, they are tasting delicious.

So far I have blogged about these recipes from the book:

Check back over the next few days as I share more recipes from the book, and if you haven't managed to catch the tv series yet, I would recommend it.

You can check out the sites I link up to over in my sidebar. Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

0 comments :

Post a Comment