Friday 24 August 2012

I know I know, recipes recipes, recipes, where are the crafts and art?  Believe me, they will be back soon, when our eldest returns to university and I get my art space back!  But for now, I will be sharing more recipes from the Hairy Dieters book by the Hairy Bikers.

For copyright reasons I will not be sharing full ingredients list and recipes from all the recipes I share from this book but I will be commenting on all of them eventually.  if you want full details either buy the book OR check out the website for the series, but you have to wait until each recipe has featured for it to appear.  Thankfully, this one has been featured and you should be able to find it here.

Today we have Sweet and Sour Chicken


Pin It

You will need


Chop the peppers and cut the onions into wedges.


To make the sauce, drain the pineapple, in a sieve over a bowl, and keep all the juice, you should have around 150ml. Put the cornflour in a large bowl and stir in 3tbsp of the pineapple juice to make a smooth paste. Add the remaining juice and the water, then stir in the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, ketchup and chilli flakes until thoroughly combined.




Cut each chicken breast into 8 or 9 even pieces. Heat a tbsp of the oil in a large non stick frying pan or wok and stir fry the onion and peppers for 2 minutes over a high heat.


Drain the water chestnuts and cut them in half horizontally.  The recipe only calls for one can, but we love them so we used two cans.


Add the remaining oil and the chicken to the pan and stir fry for 2 minutes until coloured on all sides. Add the garlic, ginger, pineapple chunks and water chestnuts and stir fry for 30 - 60 seconds.





Give the cornflour and juice mixture a good stir and add it to the pan with the chicken and vegetables.


 Stir well, season with some ground black pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook for 4- 6 minutes until the sauce is thickened and glossy and the chicken is tender and cooked throughout, turning the chicken and vegetables a few times.

Serve with a small portion of rice.


Results?  Certainly not the same colour as in the book, but we did use a really thick, dark soy sauce, so that probably accounts for that issue.  Flavour wise it was Great!  We all enjoyed it and said we would definitely eat it again just as it is!

I am really enjoying the recipes from the book, even if they don't all quite come out the way I expected, they are tasting delicious.

So far I have blogged about these recipes from the book:

You can check out the sites I link up to over in my sidebar. Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

0 comments :

Post a Comment