Friday 11 March 2011

Pomegranate Ice Cream from the wonderful Nigella Lawson, from her book of quick recipes.

Pomegranate Ice 01

You will need, 2 pomegranates, 175 grammes of icing sugar, 500ml of double cream and the juice of 1 lime.
Do NOT attempt to make this using low fat cream substitute, it just does NOT work!


Pomegranate Ice 02

First, remove the seeds from the pomegranate, carefully catching any juice, not letting it drip on the board as I did here!
There are two main ways of removing the seeds. First is illustrated above, slice the top off the pomegranate, then cut down the side at one of the seed bearing parts, and pick the seeds out that way.

Pomegranate Ice 03

The other way is to cut the pomegranate in half and WHACK the back of it with a wooden spoon. You get rid of any pent up aggression and the little seeds drop into your bowl (or jug as I used here).

Pomegranate Ice 04

Which eventually leaves you with an empty shell, like SO!

Pomegranate Ice 05

Put the seeds into a strong sieve (I had to do mine in batches the sieve was only small), and push the seeds against the sieve with the back of a wooden spoon until no more juice comes out. What's left in the sieve should look a bit like the photo above.

Pomegranate Ice 06

Add the juice of 1 lime. It really is a lime not a lemon, the lighting's not too good. Can you tell I cut it with the same knife I used to cut the pomegranates?

Pomegranate Ice 07

Add 175g of icing sugar. My friends across the globe might know this as powdered sugar or maybe confectioner's sugar, I'm not sure. And no, I don't know how many cups this is but there are plenty of conversion sites online. You should be able to work it out. Dissolve the sugar in the juice. I had lumps, so I just got my whisk out early and used it before I put the cream in and that did the trick just fine.

Pomegranate Ice 08

Add 500ml of double cream. I believe most of you would know this as heavy cream, and I do know that this is 2 cups.

Pomegranate ice 09

Action shot time (and I think it came out well)! Whisk the mixture.

Pomegranate ice 10

Until soft peak stage is reached.

Pomegranate ice 11

Transfer the mixture to an airtight container. use a rubber spatula to get all the last bits out. Or maybe not. Last time I made this I licked the bowl instead! Heehee

Pomegranate ice Cream 12

Smooth the top of the mixture, fit the lid and pop in the freezer. Your ice cream will be ready in 4 hours. No churning, no breaking up of crystals, nothing like that. Simply remove from freezer, let sit for a couple of minutes before you scoop and then serve!

Pomegranate Ice 13

And don't forget all that fruit waste can be composted! I'll take this out to the compost bin later.

0 comments :

Post a Comment