Monday 28 December 2009

So here we are, approaching the end of the year. It's time for that long list of questions again.
I think I got these off Angie years ago, THANKS!


What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
I booked a flight to America. For a long time now I have dreamed of making a trip to America to meet all the wonderful women I only know online. Well, not all of them, but some of them, there is only 2 weeks to fit it all in. Just over a year ago I took the step of setting up a separate bank account specifically for this purpose. All birthday and Christmas gifts went in there as did any money I earned from online surveys or paid blogging. A couple of months ago, I realised that with what I had been promised for this year's Christmas I now had enough!

A friend from church asked me something on facebook this morning

"R U not worried about meeting people you have never met except on the net......they could be anyone...."

YES, they COULD be anyone. But these are not people I only met online last month, these are women I have known for years! They are NOT online friends, they are real people and therefore real friends, and I KNOW that for a core group of them, I could call on them day and night if I really needed them and they would do what they could. They have blessed me and caused me to grow in faith and maturity. They have laughed with me and cried with me. I have watched them and learnt from them and I cannot wait to meet them in person.


Did you keep your new years' resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I don't make new years resolutions. I did begin some healthy lifestyle changes in the Spring and although these stalled around the end of September, I had lost 2 stones (a stone is 14 pounds for my American readers) by then. I have possibly put as much as half a stone back on but that is OK, I am ready to knuckle back down and get on with it all again.


Did anyone close to you give birth?
Oooh YES! Dearest Monika gave birth, early, to a darling baby. And hopefully by the time this post makes it to my blog my friend Kate will also have given birth. She was due a few days before Christmas and the hospital will intervene on Tuesday, so one way or the other that baby will be born before the year is out.


Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year, thankfully, although I know other friends who have not been so fortunate.


What countries did you visit?
Wales! That was it this year. The year before included a trip to Belarus via Prague, and next year obviously brings the trip to America, but this year has just been England and Wales.


What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A smaller body. Seriously! By the end of this year I NEED to have lost some considerable weight for my health. I really am NOT bothered about the way I look, but the effects on my health are taking a toll and causing problems. I can change that. I can get back on track and do what needs to be done. How? The easy answer but the hard way, Eat less, Move more!


What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
It's not so much the date as the event.

At church camp, in October, I managed to spill a kettle full of hot water all down my left side. I leapt up and ran for the showers before the woman who was in the kitchen with me even realised what had happened. We couldn't switch the showers to cold only as they were ones that you just press a button and the water heats up as it goes. So we had a chain of people brining me containers of cold water which I was throwing over myself stood in the shower.

Someone else went and alerted the members of our church in other cabins to pray, yet another person went and found out the route to the nearest hospital minor injuries unit. Then, when we were ready to go, with wet towels wrapped around my arm and blankets thrown on top of that, I made my way out to the car, between lines of cheering people, and headed off to the hospital.

That took a while, it was quite a distance and I was swearing a lot on the way. I am really sorry to the family that was coming out of the hospital as we arrived who probably heard some of that, honestly I am. We were seen immediately, there was no one waiting in front of us and I was given a gel dressing for my arm and side. The nurse told me that would kick in soon and begin to feel cold, which would in turn provide pain relief! HA "soon" was well over 2 hours later! OUCH! My arm healed well and the only remaining evidence is that the freckles (yes I am one of the spotty people!) on the arm that was scalded are paler than on the other arm.


....... to be continued. stay tuned for the other instalments of my review on the year.

0 comments :

Post a Comment