Sunday 17 October 2010

Got a gig as the queen of hearts for halloween at a kids’ show, so that has become my halloween costume this year.  It makes me all kinds of happy that I had absolutely everything I needed to make this costume already in the fabric closet.  (Red and black?  Hmm.. do I have any of that?) 

It made it easier that I just had to make the top - I already had a fabulous skirt and some accessories (wig, gloves, etc).  The top is what makes the Queen of Hearts, though..

I used red spandex for the top so it didn’t need a closure, and it’s incredibly comfy besides.  The sleeves were made from red satin, and the ribbons on the sleeves I made by sewing a little red ribbon onto a big black ribbon.  That was fun.  And I made the applique hearts on the front by taking sparkly red velvet sequin fabric (left over from a pair of fire dancing pants I made waaaay back in the day) and added interfacing and then serged over the edges, giving them a pretty rolled edge.  That was my first time making applique (I’m not normally the applique type) and it turned out rather well.

After I finished the costume I got another booking, this time as a stilt walker.  I think I’m going to figure out how to stilt-i-fy this costume and be a 9-foot-tall Queen of Hearts!  I can’t wait.

0 comments :

Post a Comment