Monday 4 October 2010

I am having a fantastic time over at the 21 secrets site learning all sort of new techniques and having fun.

What is 21 secrets?
A fantastic set of classes put together by some awesome people in the art journal world. 21 separate classes for just $59. And for any UK art journalers worried about your credit card charging you for paying in dollars (ours does, £2.50 per time), you can pay by paypal and avoid them that way!

You can check out the 21 Secrets site by clicking on the link over in my side bar.

One of the classes I have been really excited about taking was "Layers of Tissue with Hanna Andersson". There is a page that has been forming in my head that I knew I wanted to work in tissue paper but wasn't sure if it would work. It's a vision that God gave to one of our church leaders but I believe it could apply to other people, individuals even, and I think even non believers could get something from this.

There's ship sitting in a valley on a dry river bed, it's a huge ocean going galleon, it's not meant to be sitting on dry land in a valley.  But it's moored in the valley, it's tethered, attached.  It's been stuck there for a while in the wrong place, not doing what it is meant to do.  Some people have got off the ship and begun to try and climb out of the valley in their own strength, trying to claw their way out up the sides.

The thing is, there is a huge tidal wave like wave coming down the valley, ready to sweep that ship further along the valley, and right out to sea, where it gets to be what it was meant to be and do what it was meant to do.  BUT there's a problem, that mooring!  It's moored, it's attached to the valley!  If that wave comes while that boat is STILL moored, it will break it to pieces quite probably.  So how do we get the ship off it's mooring?  What is the mooring?

The mooring is an attachment to the past, to the things that were and have now gone, in a bad way, a hanging on to the PAIN of the things that have gone, clinging to the pain of lost relationships and so on.  If that pain is released, if those situations are let go of, then the ship will be free to go with the flow when that wave comes and end up right out to sea.

So, as I said, I was excited about the "Layers of Tissue with Hanna Andersson" class because I was going to learn some tips about using tissue paper on the page.


I am not someone who can draw very well, so I got a photo of a valley online, printed it out in washout mode, so that it is just barely an image cut it in half and glued that to the page.  Then I worked in tissue paper over the top of the picture, using the image to guide me where to put things.  I've scrunched the paper up slightly as I glued it down using matt medium and in some places I've put 2 or more layers of ripped up pieces.

I didn't have any light blue tissue so decided to paint the sky but figured that taking white tissue and scrunchig it up much more and then using acrylic paint as a kind of glue I would be able to make great clouds and I am really pleased with the way they turned out.

I printed out and cut out the picture of the galleon and glued that onto the page on the dry river bed.

And finally I painted in the wave.  I waited for the sky to dry first and then used tracing paper to mark the shape of the wave on the page.  I filled in the wave with blue and then white acrylic paint and then stippled more white paint around the wave to make spray.

So there you have it . . . .

Are you stuck?  Is there some pain from the past holding you back?  Do you need to let it go?

Linking this post to

0 comments :

Post a Comment