Sunday 19 December 2010

Huh? Sleeping with Bread? Shouldn't this be on the food and fitness blog?

NOPE! Read on, this is a post all about looking back on the last period of time.
The examen, based on the spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius, helps a person hold onto what spiritually nourishes him by looking at what is giving him consolation in his life or causing him desolation. It allows someone to express his gratitude to God for the good stuff and turn to Him for solace for the bad stuff. This is not an excuse to bash people involved in the bad stuff, just an opportunity to turn the good and the bad over to Him, say "THANK YOU" for the good stuff and "HELP, I cannot do this on my own" about the bad stuff.

It is quite simple. You simply ask yourself, in the last day/week/month what gave me consolation and what caused me desolation. You can also phrase the question in any of the following ways:

For what am I most grateful? Least grateful?
When did I give and receive the most love? The least love?
When did I feel most alive? Most drained of life?
When did I have the greatest sense of belonging? Least sense of belonging?
When was I most free? Least free?
When was I most creative? Least creative?
When did I feel most connected? Least connected?
When did I feel most fully myself? Least myself?
When did I feel most whole? Most fragmented?

You don't have to answer all of them every week, you can choose which and for what period of time!

First off, let me say I have not done a sleeping with Bread post in a long long time.  They are incredibly useful, can give you insight into situations, and help you realise things you had missed.  But they can also be hard work emotionally as they call on you to be honest with yourself and with God.

Now, with that said, although I wanted to share this today I do NOT feel ready to be sharing my examen with the World just yet.  I did however, want to share the idea and the list of questions for anyone who is interested and may well come back next Sunday and share my responses for this week.

0 comments :

Post a Comment