Saturday 17 March 2012


Pin It

I have made this soup for years, usually just in a single portion, for myself, when I want a tasty warm lunch.  it does take a little while, but if I am at home, I can be doing other things while it simmers.

Since I give you the amounts needed for 1 portion, it would be easy to scale up to however many people you want to feed.


PER PERSON you will need
1 small onion (or half a medium onion or less than half of a large onion)
1 carrot (these were fairly small carrots, so I used 2)
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 oz (25g) red split lentils


Finely chop the onion and grate the carrot.  If you want to peel the carrots, go ahead and do that first, but I trust where mine have come from so don't bother.


Measure your 1 tbsp of tomato purée into a jug.  I just squeeze it straight from the tube and guess at a tbsp.


Make that up to 10 fl oz (half an English pint) with boiling water.


Heat some oil in a pan and fry the onions over a medium heat for a minute or so to soften.


Add the carrots and lentils and fry for a minute or two more.


Add the tomato water, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.  If you like a smoother soup, use more water and cook for longer.


Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and enjoy.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I had forgotten how tasty this is.

Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

0 comments :

Post a Comment