Monday 5 March 2012


Pin It

Yesterday I shared the wholewheat pizza dough recipe that I have been using.  Today, I am sharing the home made pizza sauce that I used on those pizzas.  This sauce can also be used to top pasta.

You will need


2 tbsp butter
2 tsp crushed garlic from a jar
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp basil, chopped
1 tsp dried rosemary (you could use other herbs depending on your tastes)
1 tbsp tomato puree (Paste to my American friends)
3 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper

1.  Place the saucepan on a medium heat, add the olive oil and butter and allow the butter to melt.


2.  Add the chopped onions and garlic and stir.  let it cook down for 3 - 4 minutes, until the onions are soft and transparent.


3.  Add the tomatoes, rosemary, basil and tomato puree to the pan.


Season with salt and pepper and stir well.


4.  Bring the sauce to a boil, then turn down the heat to a fairly high simmer.  Allow it to cook for 20 minutes.  When it is ready, it will have thickened significantly and you should be able to draw a spoon or spatula across the bottom of the pan and have that line stay there for a while.


5.  If you are using this on pasta you can use it right away.  If you are using this on a pizza you need to let it cool a bit before using.  I made this in the morning for use in that evening's meal.


6.  If you check out yesterdays post about the whole wheat pizza dough you will see the pizzas I made with it.

Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

0 comments :

Post a Comment