Friday 30 March 2012


Pin It

It might not look much but it tastes amazing.  Thai flavoured roast chicken.  You will need (sorry for the quality of the ingredients photo, my camera was being weird today):




  • 1 whole chicken (for the timings in the recipe you need a 1.5 kilos chicken.  I used what I had and adjusted the times.
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 2 tsp green thai curry paste
  • 2tbsp fresh ginger grated (or 2 tbsp from a jar)
  • 1 tsp fresh garlic (or from a jar, that's the one without a label)
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tsp fish sauce
  • 1 small fresh chilli, seeded and chopped
  • 2 tbsp fresh  coriander (cilantro), chopped.  (Yes, I store my coriander in a coke glass.)

because I am watching the amount of fat we eat, I take the skin off the chicken before I cook it.  Otherwise all those lovely flavours will just go into the skin which we don't want to eat.  This way the flavours go into the flesh.

Put the chicken into a large freezer bag


In a jug mix all the other ingredients.  Pour them into the bag.  If you're worried about spilling it down the outsides of the bag, just do what I did and put the whole jug inside the bag before tipping the jug up to pour.


Tie the bag so that nothing can leak out.  You don't want to trap lots of air in there, but you don't want the tie tight against the chicken either.


And squish a few times before putting in the fridge to marinate for a while.  Leave it for at least an hour but more is better.

Preheat the oven to 180c (350 f)

Transfer the chicken to a roasting tin with a roasting rack.  There will be liquid inside the cavity of the bird, which you will want to tip out into the tin, but don't worry if a bit remains inside.


For a 1.5 kilo chicken you will need to roast the chicken for 1.5 hours.  Baste the chicken occasionally with the juices in the pan.  Oh and BTW if you got someone else to preheat the oven for you, it's worth checking what temperature they put it on at, or your chicken could be well done before your other stuff is ready.  Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything.


There you have it, 1 Thai roast chicken.  We usually serve it with brown rice and a salad.


Like I said, not much to look at, but it tastes amazing.  You might even put some lemongrass in there as well if you have some.

You can check out the sites I link up to over in my sidebar. Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

0 comments :

Post a Comment