Monday 25 January 2010


What did I learn this week?

This week I re-learned just how much I enjoy swimming, and just how much exercise it is too.
One of the local gyms was offering a Christmas special that I had treated myself to. A 12 day membership for £12, to be used before the end of January. With the snow we had and everything , I left it until this week to sort it out.
I knew with a 12 day membership there wasn't much point in getting used to all the machines etc and then walking away, so I decided I would just swim.

It has been a long time since I have been properly swimming, and even then it was "messing about in a pool" type swimming, not doing it properly, up and down the pool.

The first day was HARD! Good grief, I had forgotten how much effort it takes to move this body through the water. But I kept going. By the time I got a few days in I was into a routine. It's a 20metre pool that is the same depth throughout, I swim for two lengths then walk for one. That one of walking allows me to get my breath back a little, and means I am still moving rather than just standing at one end of the pool.

Oh and I also learned something new! Do NOT go to the pool at the gym at the time the aquafit class is finishing, assuming that all those people will be getting out of the pool and it will be fairly quiet. Oh indeed do not do that! They all stand there in the pool, in big groups, talking! arrggghhh, that means those people who want to swim are squeezed into much less space or have to keep going around them! And believe me they were still there after half an hour! So today, rather than going straight to the pool after a morning appointment, I will be coming home and going later, because I do not want to deal with that again.

My 12 days finishes on Thursday and my intention is to make a Thursday 13 post with all my DREAM pools that I would love to swim in one day. Please pop back for that.

If you want to participate in What I Learned this Week, head over to the website by clicking on the image at the top of this post.

0 comments :

Post a Comment