Tuesday 19 January 2010


What did I learn this week?

This week I learned just how well my CPAP machine has been working for me.
I have sleep apnoea. I have had it for years but finally got diagnosed in November 2008 and got my CPAP machine in January 2009, so I've had it almost a year now.

This week I went for my regular clinic appointment. Don't even see the doctor, just the department sister. She was really impressed.
Especially with my AHI and other numbers.
Basically with sleep apnoea you have two types of events. The first is where you actually stop breathing completely and wake up, the second is where you ALMOST stop breathing.
Those two numbers together make up your AHI.
When I did my sleep study to get my diagnosis, I had ridiculously high AHI of 126 per hour!

So, when I went this week, she went through the menus on the screen and it tells them all the details of how many hours a night I have averaged over the last 6 months and how my AHI is WITH the machine.

Well . . . . .

WITH the machine I am down to an AHI of 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And even better still, the number for the times I properly stop breathing is 0.3 and that means I only do that on average once every 3 hours!
WOOHOOOO, it's no wonder I feel so much better since I got this machine.


If you want to participate in What I Learned this Week, head over to the website by clicking on the image at the top of this post.

0 comments :

Post a Comment