Tuesday 7 February 2012

It all started with a button.
pretty pretty pretty button!

I found this button at the fabric store and it may be the most gorgeous, beautiful thing I think I've ever seen in my whole life.  I grabbed all they had.  They had three.

It's been sitting in the top of my button drawer, winking at me, for a week or two as I finished up the Steampunk Hoodie.  Finally, this morning, I turned my attention back to it and started dreaming, imagining, and designing outwards from the button.  Well, from the three buttons, actually.  (What on earth can I make with just three buttons?  I asked myself..)

It's gotta be faerie.  It's gotta be fancy.  It's gotta be iridescent and ornate and costume-y and it needs to be green.  With all that in mind, and a whisper of an idea that came to me while writing in my RealJournal, I headed to the Fabrics R Us in San Jose with my friend Miriam.

This place is *amazing*.   I have to be a little bit glad that it's a 20 minute drive from me.. close enough that I can go there when I need something special, but far enough away that I'm not over there every day.

They've got more fabric than you can shake a stick at.  Great prices.  And really unique and beautiful stuff.  We spent far too long wandering up and down the aisles, running our fingers over everything and doing the "ooooohh this is SO PRETTY" dance.  I took pictures.

I finally decided on a tie-dye green sparkle stretch velvet and an iridescent blue sheer.  Once I have the design hammered out a little more I will most likely go back for one of the incredible sequined overlay fabrics. 

It's going to become a fairy waistcoat dress.. similar in pattern to my Cigarette Girl costume.  Instead of tails, it will have folded dragonfly wings that dangle down the back.  There will be off-the-shoulder puffy sleeves, some purples and blues and greens combined into a wavy tattered skirt, and it's going to be made to accommodate my Fancy Fairy wings

Pretty fabric pictures!!  How will I ever choose? 

























0 comments :

Post a Comment