Thursday 9 February 2012

If you saw my recent recipes for Gingerbread, or Sticky Toffee Pudding, you will know that I was considering a whole series of pudding recipes.  So here we go with Eve's pudding.  If you have any requests for me to include recipes for particular puddings then please ask, I'll do my best to include them.


Pin It

This recipe was adapted from a recipe in the Hairy bikers Mums Know Best book.
Well, when I say adapted, I kind of forgot to put one of the ingredients in and forgot to grease the baking dish. But it all turned out fine, so here goes . . .

You will need: 

a 1.2 litre baking dish.  
(The one I used here holds 1.5 litres and worked just fine.)


  • 3 medium cooking apples (roughly 600g unpeeled weight), peeled, cored and ROUGHLY chopped
  • 65g golden caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 lemon, juice and rind


Well, I won't be giving prizes to the person who can spot the ingredient I forgot to put in.  I bought the lemon, honest.  In fact, it was even out on the counter on the other side of the kitchen, but I completely forgot to use it, ooops!


For the Sponge Topping you will need:

  • 115g softened butter plus extra for greasing. (Again, I forgot to grease the baking dish and it all came out fine, no problems at all.)
  • 115g golden caster sugar (they suggest an extra tbsp for sprinkling on the top but I didn't bother)
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 125g self raising flour (American readers can make their own.  There are plenty of sites out there that tell you how much raising agent to put in to equal self raising)
  • 3 tbsp flaked almonds (I reckon 2 small handfuls makes about 3 tbsp)



Butter the baking dish and preheat the oven to 180c, 360f, Gas 4

Put the chopped apples, sugar, cinnamon and lemon into the baking dish and toss together well.


To make the sponge topping:
Put the butter into a bowl (I used my stand mixer) with the sugar and cream together until light and fluffy.  This is best done with an electric whisk, or stand mixer, although you can do it by hand if you haven't got either of those.

Gradually add half of the beaten eggs, beating well between each addition.  If you add them too quickly the mixture might begin to curdle, like this


Don't panic if this does happen, keep mixing, and it should come right.


Add the vanilla extract.  I use the cap of the bottle to measure my vanilla as I know that these caps happen to hold 1/4 tsp.


Add half the flour and beat thoroughly again.  


When adding the flour, either make sure your splash guard is on or turn the mixer on slowly at first, or well, this might happen.  I have made much more mess than that in the past with the same mistake.  Oooops!


Repeat with the other half of the eggs, beating well, and then, finally, fold in the last flour, carefully.  You should be left with a nice thick cake batter.


Spoon the cake batter on top of the apples


Spread the batter out to the sides of the dish 


and sprinkle with the almonds (and additional sugar if you are using it).


Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the sponge is well risen and golden brown.  It only needed the 40 minutes in my oven.


Serve hot, with cream or home made custard.  Well, I used bought custard, but you can't have everything, now can you . . . ?



If you want more pudding recipes visit again soon, and remember, if you have a specific request, please ask and I will see what I can do.  You can find all my food and recipe posts here, or why not check out all my craft and creativity posts instead.

See you soon.

0 comments :

Post a Comment