Tuesday 21 February 2012


Pin It

Last week a friend gave me a portion of Herman.  From my research online opinion is divided on whether it is the SAME as an Amish Friendship bread starter or just the same kind of idea.  I received my portion of starter with a set of instructions on when to stir it, when to feed, and when to bake.  It even came with a recipe for baking it.

But being me, I went looking for another recipe to use when baking it and even ended up changing that recipe because I didn't have everything it called for.

Amounts needed will be in the easier to print section at the bottom of the post.

Pear & Apple Herman Cake

You will need


Sugar,
Plain flour (all purpose)
Oil
Bicarb of soda (baking soda)
Vanilla
Cinnamon
Eggs
Salt


The original recipe called for 3 cups of chopped apples, you can see I only had 2 apples in the house, 1 eating apple and 1 cooking apple, so I added the 1 remaining pear from the fruit bowl too.

Finally you will also need 1 cup of starter.


See those bubbles?  It's nice and healthy.

The original recipe also called for chopped nuts, but we were out of those, so I just left them out, although you could add some back in if you had them.

Grease and sugar your baking tin.  The recipe called for a 9" x 13" tin, this was the closest I had.


Normally I would use a silicone liner rather than greasing but I know the sugar is going to give an extra texture to the outside of the cake so this time I did grease and sugar.

Preheat the oven to 190c, 375f, Gas 5

Beat the eggs and vanilla into the oil.


Sift all the dry ingredients together then peel, core and chop the fruit and mix it into the dry ingredients.


Add the oil and egg mixture and the Herman starter to the bowl.


And stir until thoroughly mixed.

Transfer this mixture to your prepared cake tin.


And bake in the oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre (missing bits of fruit obviously) comes out clean.

Leave to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes.


Then run a knife around the edges to loosen the sides and turn onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.


And there you have it, Pear and Apple Herman Cake.  Excellent with cream, custard or ice cream, or just as good on its own.


If you like apple cake recipes, why not try the Eve's pudding I made a few weeks ago.  Or if you prefer a bit of a denser cake, maybe my Secret Weapon Gingerbread would suit you better.

You can find the sites that I link up to over in my sidebars.
Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

Herman Pear & Apple Cake Recipe
1 1/2 cups     Sugar
3/4 cup         Oil
1tsp              Vanilla
2 cups           Flour
2 tsp             Cinnamon
2                   Eggs
1 cup            Herman Starter
1/2 tsp          Baking Soda
1tsp              Salt
3 cups          Peeled, cored and diced apples and pears

Oven temp ~ 190c, 375f, Gas 5
Baking Time ~ 45 - 55 minutes
Pan Type ~ greased and sugared 9" x 13" cake tin



  • Beat the eggs and vanilla into the oil.
  • Sift all the dry ingredients together then peel, core and chop the fruit and mix it into the dry ingredients.
  • Add the oil and egg mixture and the Herman starter to the bowl.
  • And stir until thoroughly mixed.
  • Transfer this mixture to your prepared cake tin.
  • And bake in the oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre (missing bits of fruit obviously) comes out clean.
  • Leave to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes.
  • Then run a knife around the edges to loosen the sides and turn onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.

0 comments :

Post a Comment