Monday 8 June 2009

On Saturday there was an emerging church feast day at our church building. They had rented our building but one of our ladies was doing the catering and she had asked church members to bake for her.
I made a lemony sheet cake that I found the recipe for while blog visiting last week and some apple nut cupcakes.
There was not enough lunch because more people turned up than had booked in but there was LOTS of cake, I mean LOTS AND LOTS of cake. Thankfully there was a bring and share meal after church on Sunday, so we knew we could use them up for that.
THEN we all started talking about what we had planned to make for Sunday, and there were cakes, trifles, more cakes, more trifles and very little savoury stuff! Heeheee, so a few of us started trying to work out what we could do savoury with what was in our homes as we would probably not have much time for shopping after we were finished at the Feast day.
I had a root around in the church cupboards and discovered that the crockpot was still there, so decided to do something for that.
On Saturday night I fried some mince (ground beef) until it was all browned, put that aside to cool and in a lidded container mixed the other ingredients for beefy Mexican Rice. When the mince was cold we mixed that in as well.
The recipe is on my Food and Fitness Blog.
On Sunday morning I took it down to church and put it into the crockpot on high before church started, so that it would be ready by the bring and share after church. the only thing was while at home I had forgotten the size of the church crockpot and this mixture filled it RIGHT TO THE TOP! I was really worried that it might either overflow or not cook properly. I needn’t have worried, it was delicious and all went!
So this week, I learnt that when using items of cookware that are unfamiliar to you, it really is a good idea to check the size before you start!
This post is being linked to


0 comments :

Post a Comment