Monday 9 April 2012

I have so been waiting to get to Mystele's lesson that since I was behind on life book I almost jumped ahead to do her lesson, but I held back.  It was worth waiting for.


Pin It

Mystele's lesson was about working through where you are right now and using the materials that you feel led to to create an awesome background.

Then you FIND the image within the background.  It's called Pulled Art.  When I sat down to begin working, I skipped over the bit of the video where Mystele is talking at the start and got straight into the art part of the video.  So I had no idea she was going to be mentioning letting go.  And I already knew what I wanted my piece to be about.  Letting go!  See, I told you it was worth waiting for.

You see, on Saturday 14th April I will be getting my substantially long hair cut. I will be donating it to The Little Princess Trust who make real hair wigs for children who have lost their hair due to cancer treatment.
Check out the video I did for the notices at church and you can see how long it is right now. We're also raising money for a local charity, Calla, at the same time. Calla is a charity that was established to confront and disrupt human trafficking in all its forms. The specific purpose is to combat internal trafficking of children and young people for sexual exploitation. Sorry, the quality isn't good.



So when I saw the shape of a head and the hair covering the rest of here, I knew I had to go with it.  I was so enjoying the process, I completely forgot to take photos until the face and hair were done!

Here she is at this point.


Mystele doesn't focus on the faces being perfect, and balanced and neat, she focuses on finding what is there, and going with it and seeing what happens.  Hence she has a bent nose and wonky eyes and odd lips. But I kind of like her.

I worked with some rubber stamps over the background, a spotty one, with two different colours of distress inks.  Then I did the same with a swirls stamp over the hair.  The patterns were showing up a bit too much for my liking, so I muted them down by taking a soft dry brush and gently brushing over them.  I could still see them at this point, but can't spot them in the finished piece, hmmm.


Finally, I printed out a quote, cut it into pieces, edged them with distress inks and glued them on.

Like I said, she's not pretty and perfect, but I like her. There were in fact moments during this process when I was bouncing up and down in my chair and giggling, I was so excited.





You can check out the sites I link up to over in my sidebar. Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

0 comments :

Post a Comment