Thursday 6 January 2011

I'm surprised my facebook posts about planting Invisible Seeds didn't bring more questioning looks than they did.  Let me explain . . .

My job has me in local primary schools (ages 5 - 11) giving assembly talks.
This month's assembly is titled Invisible Seeds and needed some props.  Thankfully I had everything I needed to make the props right here.  Invisible seeds obviously need an seed packet.  Now I don't know if you are aware of this but invisible seeds are huge, so they need a very big seed packet.  Actually it needs to be huge so the kids at the back can see it clearly, but I like my version better.  I was wondering where on earth to start the other day, and starting scooting around my craft desk to see what I could find.

Have you ever bought craft stuff from QVC, that comes in those BIG flat cardboard envelopes?  Well, I NEVER buy them at full prices but we have a QVC outlet store not far away and I have been known to pick up one or two things in there.  And what I found under my desk was that I had kept the big envelopes from my last visit, IN CASE I MIGHT NEED THEM.  See, don't tell me hoarding is bad, this time, it worked!


One HUGE envelope and one set of seeds.  Each seed was printed on a sheet of A4 card and then cut out.  To give you an idea of just how big invisible seeds and therefore invisible seed packets are, here's a photo with a 12 inch ruler included.


I was wondering how to decorate this seed packet and then remembered that I had A3 size cartridge paper left over from another project, so I got one of those out and measured it up, PERFECT FIT.


I decorated it with a set of HUGE foam alphabet stamps and versacolour ink pads.


And here is the final result:
One packet of invisible seeds


Yes, I made a couple of mistakes and had to cover those areas up with labels or paper and work again over the top of them but I am sure the children won't notice.

I wish I could get someone to take a decent photo of me using this in assembly to show you, but I go on my own. So other than trusting teachers who I only see once a month to take a decent photo, I don't really know how to make that happen.

Of course you can't really grow invisible flowers from invisible seeds, in invisible pots full of invisible soil. You can't water them with invisible water and hope they will grow. But you can grow invisible seeds in your own life and in the lives of those around you! What seed will you grow this week?


Oh and when it came to clean up I just stamped each letter I had used over and over on the back on the envelope and I kind of like the result. Might use this technique in an art journal page sometime.

0 comments :

Post a Comment