Wednesday 12 May 2010

If you have known me for a while You may well be aware that I often have moments where God speaks to me through TV shows or movies and so on.

Well this week I finally got to watch the episodes of Torchwood we had recorded on our V+ box from earlier in the year. The series of 5 episodes that were shown nightly for a week. I watched all 5 episodes over just 2 days and BOY was that an intense experience.

It was intense all along but I wasn't particularly crying or aware of God moments until the final episode, day 5. OH MY WORD. There is so much in that episode, so many intense moments, and I was most definitely crying. In fact, I was bawling, and my 18 year old son who was on the sofa with me, a number of times said "Right that's it, I am switching this off, you obviously can't watch it." but I managed to keep the remote away from him!

Like I say there were all sorts of HUGE moments but there was one that really stood out for me.

There is a section where the family members of one of the main characters are trying to get some children away to a safe place. The army has come in, to the area where those family members are and is trying to take those children, with riot shields, batons and probably tear gas etc. The wife takes all the children and runs and the husband tries to create a diversion along with a number of other guys from the area by fighting back against the army guys. None of these guys are armed other than with anything they find lying around, because it all happens so fast.

Watching this is a policeman. A policeman who used to work with one of the main characters when she was still in the police force. He is watching what is happening and thinking and you see a moment when he decides to stand up for what is right rather than what he has been instructed to do and he throws off the identifiable parts of his uniform and joins these guys who are fighting against the army and gets stuck in with them. The thing that REALLY struck me though was that he was wearing either a bullet proof vest, or more likely a stab vest. He could have kept that on, he could have kept himself protected in that way.

But he didn't!
He tore that vest off along with the rest of his identifiable uniform and he joined them on equal terms. He didn't just come in to try and help them or try and rescue them, he joined them, he became one of them! On equal terms of risk with them, to fight ALONGSIDE them.

Be warned this clip has strong language and violence.



WOW!
At the time I just bawled and said things like "WOW, did you see that, did you see what he just did?" I may have even rewound and watched that little bit again.

Looking back on it later it really made me think. Firstly about what Christ did for us, becoming one of us not just rescuing us.

And the 2nd thing it made me think of was missions, charity work and so on. I watch mission work and have even been part of it in some way, that swoops in, does it's thing and then swoops out again, never to be seen again, having salved their consciences with the fact that they have "helped these people". And my heart breaks!
Then I watch others, who immerse themselves in the lives and culture of the people they want to help. But it's more than that, it's not just people they want to help, it's people they LOVE, people that they have become part of, people that now have a piece of their heart and who will always be a part of them.

And I am desperate for SOMETHING OF THAT in my work in schools. To not just be "That nice lady who comes in and does some nice assembly talks" but to be a part of their lives. To be a part of the fabric of the school, doing whatever I can, whatever they need, whenever I can, whenever they need it. To be a safe spiritual "place" within the chaos that school can be. I want to know who they are and I want them to know me, I want to see big things, I want to be part of big things! I don't know how to make that happen, in fact I know that I cannot MAKE that happen, but I still want it, it is still my prayer!

0 comments :

Post a Comment