Tuesday 12 May 2009


I am starting a garden.
Well actually I already have a garden. You see, to all my American readers, what you call a yard, we call a garden.
What I am going to be doing is growing some veggies.
My husband has been wonderful and built me a raised bed. He built it out of the wood from our old bed frame. I am going to section it into 12 inch squares and we are going to plant based on the square foot gardening method.

In the square foot gardening book he recommends you don't use string for sectioning off, but right now it really is all we can afford to do, something more permanent will have to come later.

Then I am going to be growing some veggies.

From seed we will grow:
  • carrots
  • radishes
  • onions
  • spring onions
  • lettuce
  • spinach
  • broccoli
  • beetroot
  • runner beans
  • broad beans
  • cucumbers if I am feeling particularly brave

From started plants we will grow:
  • marigolds
  • nasturtiums
  • If I can get them in straight away (or it will be too late) peas.
In hanging baskets we will grow cherry tomatoes, from started plants, and in containers we will have herbs.

Well, that's the plan anyway. I've never had particularly green fingers, but we're going to at least try.
I need to get a frame built for the climbing plants at the back of the raised bed, and I need to come up with something to keep the birds off the bed as well as the neighbours cats.

If you want to read more Talk About it Tuesday posts, or even take part yourself, click on the image at the top of this post and it will take you right there.

0 comments :

Post a Comment