Thursday 14 May 2009

I am so happy that 3 Moms decided to take on the Thursday 13 challenge.

This week my theme fits in with their theme.

Here are 13 varieties of veggies that I would like to grow in my veggie garden.

1. Beetroot Solo Seeds
The most popular home grown vegetable just got even better!

Reduce the need for fiddly thinning out with this monogerm variety which, unlike other beetroot, only produces one seedling per seed.
Since I am growing my veg by the square foot method, which requires, precisely that situation of sowing carefully so you just put one seed in each place you want a plant, this is perfect!

2.Broad Bean Red Epicure Seeds
I love these purely based on the colour. If you lightly steam them rather than boiling them they retain some of that red colour on cooking. Gorgeous!

3. Carrot Nandor seeds
We are growing our veg in a raised bed, which means the longer varieities of carrots jsut won't have enough space to grow. This variety is ideal, being shorter AND resistant to carrot fly.

4. Cucumber Mini Munch seeds
We don't consume huge amounts of cucumber in our house, these would be ideal. It gives many cucumbers a week, but smaller ones, so we can eat a few and give a few away.

5. Lettuce Dazzle seeds
Nice red coloured lettuce that grows small but also quite loosely so is great for pulling a few outer leaves off and leaving the rest to grow.

6. Lettuce Lobjoits Green Cos Seeds
because I love Caesar salad of course!

7. Pea Delikata (Mangetout) Seeds
Because I love how easy mangetout are to cook!

8. Radish Mixed Globe Seed Varieties
I love the mix of different varieties, the surprise of not knowing which you will get when you pull one up!

9. Spring Onion Guardsman Seeds
I'm not always very good at checking the veg plot EVERY day and bringing stuff in, these can stand a long time without bulbing and becoming strong. I like that!

10. Swiss Chard Bright Lights Seeds
How could you NOT enjoy watching that grow in your garden? Beautiful! And it's tasty and good for you too.

11. Tomato Garden Pearl Plants
Specially bred for conatiners this is perfect because we will be growing our tomatoes this year in hanging baskets! Well, it solves the slug problem! Have to be more vigilant about watering though!

12. Chilli Plant Collection
For my youngest son (14), who loves chillis.

13. Last, but by no means least is Pak Choi Summer Breeze Seeds
I love using pak choi in stir fries and it's not commonly grown in veg gardens around here but appears to be hardy to do so.

So, if you have a Thursday 13 to share, or you want to read some otehrs, head on over to 3 Moms by clicking on the image at the top of this post and check them out.

0 comments :

Post a Comment